Susan Anderson’s book The Journey from Abandonment to Healing is a wealth of information about the devastating effects of abandonment and that real miraculous recovery that is possible.
I am paraphrasing the five stages of abandonment.
- Shattering-devastating pain and hitting bottom.
- Withdrawal-the intense craving for the love you had.
- Internalizing-beating up on your self esteem.
- Rage-fighting back by expressing your rage and anger.
- Lifting-your life gets back on track.
These are not linear steps but as the author states they are stages that are circular, like a cyclone. We go through each stage at one time or together. It may take days, weeks, months or years to resolve but worth the effort.
Abandonment is one of the worst betrayals a person can experience. Recovery is more than possible, with some self care and self compassion you will come out on the other side changed, wiser and more resilient.
Read Susan Anderson’s book and be amazed at how recover from abandonment is possible.